For the Cake:
- 7 ounces (2 bars, 3.5 oz. each) Perugina® Dark (51% Cacao) Chocolate
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua liquor (optional)
For the Topping:
- 3.5 ounces (1 bar) Perugina® White Chocolate
- 3.5 ounces (1 bar) Perugina® Dark (51% Cacao) Chocolate
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 5 ounces bag of Baci® Perugina® White
- Pre-heat oven to 325° F. Begin by preparing the cake. In a double boiler, melt butter and Perugina® chocolate. Mix together until well blended then set aside to cool.
- Separate the eggs. In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gradually add in granulated sugar, beating constantly until sugar has been completely incorporated into the beaten egg whites.
- Make sure the Perugina® chocolate mixture has cooled completely and then stir in egg yolks and mix well. Whisk in 1/3 of egg white mixture then gradually fold in remainder. Pour into a greased 9’’ springform pan. Bake for approx. 35 minutes or until cake no longer jiggles when shelf is moved and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for around 15 minutes then run a knife around the edge of the cake and remove the sides, leaving base intact. Allow cake to cool completely. While waiting for cake to cool, prepare creamy truffle fillings.
- In a small bowl whip 1 cup of heavy whipping cream until soft peaks form. Melt Perugina® white chocolate in a double boiler, allow to cool slightly then fold into whipped cream. Repeat process with additional 1 cup of whipped cream and dark Perugina® chocolate to form second truffle layer, set aside.
- Replace sides of the springform pan and relock (this will ensure that the sides of your cake are perfectly smooth later), brushing top of cake with Kahlua, if desired.
- Spread Baci® Perugina® White mixture evenly over top of cooled cake. Repeat process with dark Perugina® chocolate to form second truffle layer. Smooth out evenly with a rubber spatula. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. When ready to serve, slice Baci® Perugina® White vertically into thin slices and sprinkle evenly over truffle layer. Once again, run a knife around the edge of the cake before removing the springform sides prior to serving.
Recipe by Fiona Green of Texas winner of the Chocolate Dessert Challenge.