- 4 T. butter
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup or Golden Syrup
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 6 T. flour
- 1/8 tsp almond extract, and 2 tsp freshly grated orange zest
- 1 bar of Perugina® Dark Chocolate
- 1 gallon of your favorite ice cream
- 10 baci® candies, chopped (for topping)
- Colavita Olive Oil for oiling the cup molds
- 1 baking sheet
- parchment paper
- 6 teacups or small bowls for forming the cups
- heat resistant spatula
- metal spatula
- sharp knife
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small saucepan, melt the butter with the corn syrup and brown sugar. Stir in the almond extract (if using), almonds, and flour. Finally add the zest. Stir with a heat resistant spatula to combine.
- Pour the batter onto the prepared baking sheet, spreading it into a thin layer. Bake the batter for 12 minutes, until it’s a deep golden brown and then remove it from the oven. While the batter is baking, prepare 6 teacups or small bowls. Lightly oil the insides of each cup with a small amount of Colavita Olive Oil.
- Allow the batter to rest, for about 45 seconds to a minute, then using a very sharp knife, cut the batter into 6 equal rectangles. Lift each rectangle off the baking sheet with a metal spatula and place it into a teacup. You can press the batter into the teacup, forming the shape you wish and patching any holes that may appear. Allow the batter to cool completely inside the cups, then you can remove them.
- You can make these cups ahead of time, they will store for about 1 week. Melt the Perugina® chocolate in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat it for 15-20 seconds at a time, stirring between each heating. Alternately, you can melt the chocolate on the stovetop in a double boiler. Add about 2 inches of water into a 4 quart saucepan and place over medium low heat.
- Allow the water to come to a simmer. Place a heat-proof glass bowl or saucepan with the Perugina® chocolate over the simmering water pan. Allow the chocolate to slowly melt, stirring occasionally with a heat-proof spatula. Dip the tops of the cups into the melted Perugina chocolate. Place them on a baking sheet or piece of parchment paper and allow them to cool and harden completely.
- Choose your favorite ice cream and place 1 large scoop directly in the center of each brittle cup. Garnish with chopped Baci® Perugina® and serve immediately!